Balancing the Energies of Autumn
Changing your life style and yoga practice to match the season – does it make sense? Yes it does, and adding a few simple changes to your routine can make a world of difference in how you feel.
So, if you are currently feeling any of the following, here is some good news.
Skin dry and cracked?
Having trouble sleeping?
Harder to get up this morning?
What is going on?
Don”t worry you are not crazy. Your body is adjusting to the change in seasons. Ayurvedically speaking we are moving into the Vata season, known in the western world as Fall. This is one of those times when you are reminded that, not only are we finely tuned instruments, but also that we are all interconnected beings. Interconnected with each other, and the planet.
As we move from Summer to Fall, as the weather shifts from hot to cool, and as the air becomes wet and blustery, our bodies begin to adjust as well. We slow down, and begin to let go of the collected heat of the summer. And depending on our constitutions (doschas) and the balance of stress in our lives, the transitional period may go very smoothly or it may need a bit of fine tuning.
Here are a couple of things you can do to ease the transition from Summer to Fall.
- Check-in and listen: If you are tired get more sleep. Go t bed earlier and maybe even take a short nap during the day. If you are thirsty, drink more fluids. I don’t mean to sound trite, but often the first thing we do is turn off the volume and ignore the signals being sent to us by our bodies.
- Move the system along: help your body adjust to the change in the season. Add some cleansing and nourishing practices to your daily routine. Here are a few things to help bring your body back into balance with the season.
- Drink a glass of lemon juice and water to start your morning.
- Brew yourself some ginger tea and drink it throughout the day.
- Put more twists and longer holds in your asana practice.
- Spend a few moments in meditation.
- Take a long hot bath with salts in the evening before bed.
- Get a massage – go ahead, you deserve it and it will feel so good.
- Add oils to your body – both internally (fish and vitamin E), and on the skin (Coconut & Sesame).
If you are interested in learning more about Ayurveda, your doscha, and more ways to stay in balance with the season, here are a few good links. Also, I know there are many of you who read this blog that know way more than I do, so please chime in.
Have a great day,
Shalom & Namaste,